Getting creative with digital photography and image processing
Digital images can be utilised to tell a story and to pose a problem. This workshop will teach the participants how to create, process and manipulate digital images to meet their needs in teaching and learning. Imagery plays an important role in teaching and learning yet many find working with digital images to be a challenge. This workshop is designed to ease the burden of that challenge.
Educators are required to prepare documents and media for a variety of purposes using a range of different publishing platforms, whether it be desktop publishing or digital. Participants will be taught important tips and settings regarding publishing their images to a variety of media including desktop publishing, presentation documents and the Internet.
The workshop is designed to teach participants how to make better use of their digital still camera and provide the participants with a number of practical photography tips.
During the hands-on component of the day the participants can explore and apply a range of image processing features available in both Adobe Photoshop CS and Adobe Photoshop Elements to their images.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to develop the skills and techniques required to:
- Use digital camera in a creative and productive manner
- Make informed and creative decisions regarding the subject matter and the composition of their digital photographs
- Plan for the appropriate and practical use of their digital photographs and images in an educational setting
- Enhance and modify the appearance of their digital photographs so that they can be employed as media in a variety of teaching and learning applications (presentations, research reports, publications, office documents, desktop publishing)
- Teachers (Primary, Secondary and Colleges)
- Academic Staff (ITE, Polytechnic, University and Training Institutes)
- Participants must bring their own digital camera to the workshop
- Participants should also bring a card media reader or the appropriate USB cable so that they can transfer their photographs from their digital camera to the computer during the workshop
- It is recommended that participants bring a thumb drive or USB Flash drive so that they can take electronic copies of resources provided during the course
- Finally, participants are advised to consult the relevant resources and links available at the following web site prior to the course http://www.larkin.net.au/
The workshop will commence with a presentation that sets out the concepts of photography with a series of photographic examples. The principles that were applied to the photograph will be shared with the participants. Online resources will also be shared with the participants.
- The presenter will then share a number of key ideas with the participants with respect to the actual use of their digital camera.
- During the hands-on component of the day the instructor will provide brief presentations and instructions relevant to the desired learning outcomes of the workshop followed by participant use of the Photoshop application and the features listed above.
- The participants will work both individually and in small groups as desired to develop their skills in using the application and feature set referred to in the learning outcomes above.
- The participants will devote the final session of the workshop image processing their photographs so that they create output files suitable for a variety of different publications (desktop, presentation, Internet, etc)
- Help and feedback will be available through course notes and assistance from the facilitator.
- Photoshop CS Handout
- Photoshop Elements Handout
- Digital Photography Presentation
- Archive of workshop photographs [34.1mb] ~ Save to your desktop
Adobe Photoshop Elements
- Photoshop Tips and Tricks
- Adobe Photoshop Elements Help and Support
- Photoshop Elements Tutorials and User Resources
- Adobe Photoshop Elements Techniques
- Photoshop Elements Net
- Photoshop Elements Tutorials
Digital photography tips
- Photography Tips and Techniques
- Photography – Tips & Techniques
- Photography techniques
- Basic photography techniques
- Digital SLR Photography Guide
- Digital Photography School
- Digital Cameras: News, Reviews, Forums
- The Best Sites For Learning Beginning Photography Tips
edUtorium and workshop inquiries
This workshop will be conducted at various times at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. I am also able to conduct this workshop for other organisations. Please contact me in order to check on availability and costings.
You can enrol for this course via the dedicated Creative Digital Photography workshop registration page at the edUtorium web site at the Centre of Excellence in Learning and Teaching at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Educators in Singapore and southeast Asia should visit the edUtorium web site to check on course availability and booking details.