Just over four weeks from now I shall be conducting an all day workshop on social media in education. I conducted a similar workshop at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore last October. It is an interactive workshop with plenty of discussion, argument, brainstorming and exploration.
I spent a couple of hours this evening reviewing links and resources I had gathered together for the participants. I shall add them to the workshop page this week.
In the meantime I have created a set of links to articles and online commentaries on social media, education and the current state of play.
Articles regarding Social Media in Education
- Miriam Firth Can Facebook Engage Students in Critical Analysis of Academic Theory? in Asian Journal on Education and Learning, 1(1), 10 – 19. Download PDF
- Graham Cormode, Balachander Krishnamurthy, Walter Willinger A Manifesto for Modeling and Measurement in Social Media Download PDF
- Caroline Lego Muñoz, Terri L. Towner Opening Facebook: How to Use Facebook in the College Classroom Download PDF
- Ellen S Hoffman Evaluating Social Networking Tools for Distance Learning Download PDF
- Adi Aharon Building Relationships: Instructor Self Disclosure, Social Networking and Student Learning Download PDF
- Kevin Harris Using Facebook in the classroom Download PDF
- Mary Madden, Susannah Fox, Aaron Smith and Jessica Vitak Pew Internet Research: Digital Footprints – Online identity management and search in the age of transparency Download PDF
- Amanda Lenhart, Mary Madden Teens, Privacy and Online Social Networks Download PDF
- Amanda Lenhart, Kristen Purcell, Aaron Smith, Kathryn Zickuhr Pew Internet Research: Social Media & Mobile Internet Use Among Teens and Young Adults Download PDF
- Reynol Junco The Need for Student Social Media Policies Download PDF
- Mary O’Rawe Can we be “friends”? Social networking and student engagement in an academic environment Download PDF
- C. Michael Sturgeon and Christin Walker Faculty on Facebook: Confirm or Deny? Download PDF
- Sacide Güzin Mazman, and Yasemin Koçak Usluel The Usage of Social Networks in Educational Context Download PDF
- Anthony Mayfield iCrossing eBook. What is social media? Download PDF
- Suraya Hamid, Shanton Chang and Sherah Kurnia Identifying the use of online social networking in higher education Download PDF
- Tracy Mitrano Identifying the use of online social networking in higher education Download PDF Download PPT
- National School Boards Association Creating & Connecting: Research and Guidelines on Online Social and Educational Networking Download PDF
- Bernadette Rego A Teacher’s Guide to Using Facebook Download PDF
- Hendrik Huijser Exploring the educational potential of social networking sites: the fine line between exploiting opportunities and unwelcome imposition Download PDF
- Betty Bayer Social Networking for Teachers: To Facebook or Not to Facebook Download PDF
- Bill Ferriter Exploring Educational Conversations in Social Media Spaces Download PDF
- Danah Boyd Taken Out of Context American Teen Sociality in Networked Publics Download PDF
- The culture of acquisition – and why we don’t have one.
- Questioning the Future of the Open Student
- The Case for Digital Citizenship in Schools
- How To Use The Social Media To Collaborate
- Digital Citizenship Lesson from Gilbert Gottfried: The (former) Voice of the Aflac Duck
- Facebook Friending 101 for Schools
- Learning Digitally: Empowerment with Responsbility
- Teenagers, Legal Risks and Social Networking Sites
- Cellphones in the Classroom: Distraction or Tool?
- Digital Literacy 2010: Social Networking
- OnlineSchools.com Announces New Content Series on Cyberbullying in Schools
- The Dark Sides Of Our Digital Self